The 1957 German Cross in Gold (Deutsches Kreuz) was instituted in 1941 to recognize a degree of bravery or service between the the Iron Cross First Class and Knights Cross. This version came about in the post war years due to Germany's strict laws prohibiting the wearing or display of the swastika. On 26 July 1957 the West German government authorized an Iron Cross with with an Oak Leaf Cluster in place of the swastika. This allowed World War II Iron Cross recipients the ability to display their awards in public without civil or political repercussion. These are very nice reproductions featuring sharp details and very nice 5 piece construction.